Lake Taneycomo

Busy week of good trout fishing

Posted by Phil Lilley on February 16th, 2012
Print Friendly and PDF
Recommend this post:

With the weather so nice, I’ve been out on the lake more than usual this week so far.  And the catching has been pretty good, for the most part.

Monday it snowed . . . I love fishing in snow showers.  The main reason is the fish are almost always aggressively biting and it’s just plain cool (no pun. . . , well yes,  pun intended).  But I failed to get out while the snow flakes were flying.  The trout still were hungry and I had fun.

Monday late afternoon was the first time I tried out my camera rack contraption on one of my G-3 bass boats.  It’s a rail made of 3/4-inch tube steel mounted on the deck floor making an arch from midway to the bow of the boat and set off to one side.  I mount my GoPro HD video cameras on the rail to view fishing techniques from different angles.  My goal is to make various short videos of most, if not all, trout fishing techniques for trout fishing on Taneycomo and show them in our office on demand.  We probably will eventually put them in DVD form to sell, too.

I’m not fooling anyone, though, (especially myself) that they will be “professional.”  I just hope they’ll help anglers enjoy catching more trout here on the lake.

Back to fishing.  One unit was running Monday afternoon and there was very little wind, so it was perfect for throwing a jig.  I mounted the 2 GoPro’s front and back and set one small HD video camera on a tripod up close to me and started fishing.  I threw a black jig to begin, 3/32nd ounce, and caught a few rainbows.  I  made one drift from Lookout Island down to the Narrows and headed back up.  Then I switched to a white jig, same size, and started catching nicer rainbows, then a brown, then another and then a real nice brown.  Cool!  Couldn’t wait until I got back to the office to see how the camera shots came out.

Back home, the video looked okay.  I need to make some adjustments by moving the back camera up closer to the front of the boat.  The sound was terrible, of course.  GoPro’s don’t do sound very well, especially in the water proof case.  But I edited it, recorded a monolog over the video and posted on Youtube.  It’s NOT a finished product but I wanted to get people’s reaction.

Duane Doty called me Tuesday morning and asked me if I wanted to meet him at the dam for some wade fishing.  I didn’t have anything pressing,  so I agreed.  It was sunny and dry with little wind and warming temperatures.

The water was dropping out when we arrived about 11 a.m. and  began fishing down in the rebar area.  Duane had a couple of flies he wanted to try. One was a webby worm Tim Homeslet gave him. t He tied it on a small jig head, leaving to undulate in the current.  Dead drifting it down the chutes, he hooked several rainbows right off the bat. I, on the other hand ,wasn’t having much luck with the white webby worm, so I changed to a dark brown san juan and was immediately rewarded with three hookups in a row, including this really nice rainbow.

The san juan was hot for another half dozen drifts, then it cooled off as the lake settled into its normal power pool.  Trout were moving up and down the whole time as the lake dropped, I noticed.  I believe these rainbows have spots they sit at different lake levels and flows.  This was confirmed as I watched them shift up and down in front of me.

We finished out the afternoon working our way down the chute to the big hole where Duane continued to catch rainbows on his worm and minnow fly patterns.  George Garth was sight fishing down with us, working the edge of the water where rainbows were cruising the shallows.  This is a lost art, in my opinion, laying a scud out in the path of a rainbow only to twitch the fly just at the right moment to trigger a strike.  With no indicator — just the movement of the rainbow and the flash of an open mouth — Garth had no trouble fooling fish.

I returned home to catch up on some  work, then headed back out on the water for some videoing, taking advantage of this weather, sun and good fishing.

I boated up halfway between Lookout and the Narrows and started the camera.  This time I brought an Eagle Claw spinning rod, bright yellow fiberglass.  The darker rods I’d used on Monday didn’t show up on film as well as I wanted, and the yellow rod, I thought, would.  I was right.  The rod wasn’t what I was accustomed to, but I managed to catch a few rainbows and show how to work the jig off the bottom.

Catching wasn’t was as good as the day before.  I wanted to finish the evening at the Narrows, so I cranked up the motor and headed down.  I was surprised to see the water there really moving — up lake. Backwards.  And fast.  The lake backs up fairly often, but the current isn’t usually that fast.  This is sometimes the kiss of death fishing-wise, but not this time.  I caught several rainbows on a zebra midge under an indicator before heading back home.

This evening was another completely different weather day with rain this morning moving to a little warmer and little wind this evening.  There was no generation this afternoon.  The horn blew about 5:15  p.m., but I didn’t see any movement in the lake where I was fishing.

I started about a fourth-mile above  where Sun Valley Resort used to be.  Trout were midging some, but not like I like them to be.  Still I wanted to work this area before dark, so I stopped the boat and whipped out the fly rod.

I started with a red #16 zebra with silver wire wrap and a nickel bead head six inches under a palsa indicator.  The trout were coming up and taking midges off the surface pretty aggressively and close enough to the boat that I could see exactly what they were doing — which was coming up from deep in the water, taking the fly and then diving back down.  This varies from other times when they cruise close to the surface and ease up and sip midges on the surface.  So I changed colors, tied on a black and reset the indicator at 24 inches deep.

I targeted rising for the next 45 minutes and caught a dozen rainbows, several pushing 15 inches.  Pretty cool!  These were not the dinks we’d been seeing the last month; these  rainbows had been in the lake for a long time, feeding on midges.  They were fat, colorful and fought hard.

No cameras tonight  —  but next time for sure!

Leave a Comment


Print Friendly and PDF
Recommend this post: